Sunday, August 17, 2008

the birds and the bees

I knew it was only a matter of time, however I was proud of how I handled the conversation. Here goes:
I was putting my pajamas on (I know, I know, time to start changing in private).
M: Mom, where's that scar from when Amelia and Me were born? (I have a scar from surgery when I had my gall bladder removed. Its higher up on my abdomen)
Me: That's not from when you were born, honey, that's from when I had surgery.
M: Oh. That's right. The doctor cut me out of here (he points to my lower tummy).
Me: No, honey, the doctor didn't cut you out of my tummy, you came out of my girl-parts (stole that phrase from a friend).
M: Oh. You mean here? (He lifts up his shirt and points to his nipples)
Me: No, my other privates, down here (I point).
M: Oh. (joking here...) I came out of your PENIS??? No, you don't have a PENIS!!! (now serious) I came out of your special hole. (making connections) Where your pee comes out? (joking again) Eeew, gross, you peed on us?
Me: No, honey, girls have another hole for babies. Girls have two holes... one for pee and one for babies.
M: Oh.
Me: Well, actually three. One for pee, one for babies, and one for poop.
M: Oh. Boys have one for poop and a penis for pee. Because boys don't have babies grow in their tummies, do they?
Me: Nope.

I know this wasn't the complete birds and bees conversation, but each time we have one of these conversations I get a little more comfortable talking about it. He's just curious. He doesn't ask to see my "special" hole any more. That's good.

3 comments:

Luke Coles said...

Your kids amaze me.

Freckles and Frogs said...

Oh that was the funniest story! I even had to re-read this morning for an early morning laugh! I love it! The best part is that you're willing to share it with all of us!

Miss Erika said...

You are very brave to share this story with us. I always appreciate hearing how someone else describes it and use their good ideas with my kids!