Monday, July 28, 2008

wow

This post has nothing to do with my kids... so hang on to your britches because I don't usually post about these kinds of things. I'll try to keep it simple.

I just finished an incredible book called The Shack by William P. Young. It is a whole new look at God and how he relates to people. It would be a great book for someone struggling with the whole concept of God and his "judgement" and how he can allow evil things to happen. It really challenged me to look differently at my beliefs.

A little background: Over the past couple of years I have come to realize that my relationship with God is a little twisted. I have these "superstitions" that keep me from fully surrendering myself and allowing him to use me to his fullest. For example, I won't pray, "Do whatever you need to do so that I can know you better," because in my mind I am giving permission for him to let something awful happen. Maybe he's going to take Ryan so that I will have to learn how to totally depend on him. Well, yesterday as I was reading my book, a part of it stood out to me and was so incredibly freeing to read. Here is part of the book I want to share.

At this point in the story, "Mack" is talking with God about why things happen and why his daughter had to die.

Mack: "Is that what this is about? Did she have to die so you could change me?"
God: "Whoa there, Mack. That's not how I do things."
Mack: "But if she hadn't died, I wouldn't be here now..."
God: "Mack, just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn't mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don't ever assume that my using something means I caused it or that I need it to accomplish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn't depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors. She was not your sacrifice, Mack. She is and will always be your joy. That's enough purpose for her."

Wow. Please read it.
www.theshackbook.com

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I just finished "The Shack" yesterday. Yeah, it's cool. Since I read it, does that mean I get to move closer to the top of your list? :)

Rosie said...

I have been hearing that this book is the pilgrims progress of our generation. I really need to read it. And just so you know I have had the same fear/barrier myself in my prayer life.